메주고리예 지지자 숀본 추기경의 메주고리예 첫 순례 그동안 메주고리예 성모 발현의 적극적인 지지자로 알려진 오스트리아 비엔나 대교구장 크리스토프 숀본 추기경이2009년 12월 28일부터 1월 2일까지 처음으로 직접 메주고리예를 방문했다. 숀본 추기경은 순례 기간 도중, 성시간을 비롯한 성 야고보 본당 저녁 예절에 참석하고, 순례자들과 함께 미사를 봉헌했으며, 여섯 명의 발현목격증인 가운데 한 사람인 마리야 파블로비치-루네띠를 만나 다른 순례자들과 함께 청 십자가와 발현산을 방문하여 기도를 바쳤다. 또한순례자들을 대상으로 특별 강론을 하고, 2009년 12월 31일 밤에는 메주고리예 성모성지를 돌보고 있는 프란치스코 회원들, 그곳을 찾은 다른 많은 사제들, 그리고 수 천명의 순례자들과 함께 2010년 새해 신년 전야 미사를 봉헌했다. 다음은 숀본 추기경의 메주고리예 순례 일정의 구체적인 발자취와 발언들이다.

도착 첫 날인 28일, 메주고리예 성 야고보 본당의 주임신부인 페타르 블라식 신부의 영접을 받은 숀본 추기경은 메주고리예 전임 주임신부였던 토미슬라브 페르반 신부를 비롯한 다른 프란치스코 회원들을 만났다. 그 날 저녁, 추기경은 성시간에 참여하여 침묵 가운데 기도를 바쳤고, 성당을 떠나면서

“누가 이런 것들을 만들어낼 수 있겠습니까?
누가 메주고리예를 고안해낼 수 있었겠습니까?
사람이요?
아닙니다. 메주고리예 성모님 발현은 결코 인간의 작품이 아닙니다.

이어서 토미슬라브 신부는 “우리는 추기경께서 가톨릭 교회 교리서를 편찬할 때 중요한 위치에 계셨다는 것을 잊어서는 안 됩니다.” 라고 말했다. 숀본 추기경은 동방 그리스도교 신학자 가운데 가장 존경받은 분이며 교황청 교리 신앙성 위원이기도 하다.

29일, 숀본 추기경은 다른 순례자들과 함께 청 십자가와 발현산을 찾아 기도를 바쳤고, 여섯 명의 발현목격증인 가운데 한 사람인 마리야 파블로비치-루네띠가 추기경을 대동했다.

30일 오후 3시, 추기경은 성 야고보 본당에서 특별 강론을 했다. 강론의 주제는 ‘하느님의 자비’였고, 메주고리예를 칭송하는데 주저함이 없었다. 추기경은 강론을 시작하면서 발현목격증인들과 메주고리예 마을 사람들의 일반적인 인사법인 “찬미 예수님 성모님!”을 크로아티아로 여러번 반복하며 청중들에게 함께 따라 하도록 요청했고, 다음과 같이 말함으로써 메주고리예가 하느님 자비의 초자연적 힘이 드러나는 곳임을 강조했다: “여러분이 메주고리예와 같은 장소를 볼 때, 여러분은 자비의 초자연적인 힘을 볼 수 있습니다. 수많은 자비 행위가 이곳에서 생겨났거나 지지를 받고 있습니다.” 강론이 절정에 달했을 때, 추기경은 청중들에게 일어나서 메주고리예 노래로 세상에 널리 알려진 ‘고스파 마이카 모야 (성모님 우리 어머니)’를 함께 부르자고 제안했고, 청중들과 함께 노래하는 동안 추기경은 얼굴에 환한 미소를 머금고 있었다. 추기경은 “저는 교회 내의 많은 체험들이 인간적인 관점에서 불가능한 그 어떤 것을 보여준다고 믿습니다.” 라는 말로 강론을 끝맺었다.

31일 밤, 숀본 추기경은 전 세계에서 온 수 천명의 순례자들, 사제들, 그리고 메주고리예 성 야고보 본당에서 사목하며 성지를 돌보고 있는 프란치스코회 사제들과 함께 2010년 새해 신년을 맞이하고, 하느님의 어머니 마리아 대축일을 경축하는 미사를 봉헌했다. 다음은 추기경이 미사 중에 행한 강론의 일부이다:

“하느님께서는 우리가 마리아, 요셉, 구유에 누워계시는 아기 예수님 그리고 목동들과 함께 새해의 시작을 경축할 수 있도록 해주셨습니다.

이 시기에 우리 모두는 특별히 주님의 어머니 가까이 가기 위해 메주고리예를 찾아왔습니다.

하느님의 어머니께서 늘 우리에게 하시는 말씀은 무엇입니까?

기도하라는 것입니다. 기도하기 위해 시간을 마련하십시오.

이것이야말로 새해를 맞이하면서 우리가 하는 좋은 결심이 아니겠습니까?

사제와 부제들, 우리 모두 기도를 위해 시간을 마련해야 합니다.

기도는 우리에게 엄청난 힘과 기쁨을 가져다 줍니다. 또한 우리를 맑게 만들어 줍니다.

우리가 더욱 기도할 수 있도록 도와달라고 마리아께 청합시다.

우리가 기도할 때, 우리가 하는 말에는 생명으로 가득하게 됩니다.

그리고 우리가 증거하는 말 역시 믿음직하게 됩니다…

저는 메주고리예가 참으로 많은 사람들이 고해성사를 보는 곳이라고 믿습니다.

고해성사는 죄의 노예 살이로부터 자유롭게 하는 것입니다.

죄보다 우리의 자유를 구속하는 것은 없습니다.

하느님은 우리가 그분의 아들들이 되기를 바라십니다.

하느님의 자녀들로서 자유를 누리기를 바라십니다.

바로 그러한 이유로 그분은 우리에게 화해의 성사를 선물로 주셨습니다.

우리는 하느님과 새로운 관계를 맺어야 하고, 하느님을 아빠로 부를 수 있게 되어야 합니다.

예수님은 바로 그렇게 우리가 하느님을 신뢰할 수 있도록 우리를 초대하셨습니다.

우리는 하느님께 대하여 대단한 경외심을 가지고 있습니다.

이제 마지막으로 말씀을 드리면, 목동들은 돌아갔고, 하느님을 찬미했으며,

자신들이 듣고 본 것 때문에 그분을 찬양했습니다. 우리 또한 집으로 돌아갈 것입니다.

우리는 복음의 증인이 될 수 있고, 하느님을 먼저 찬양해야 합니다.

며칠 후면 우리는 차 혹은 비행기를 타고 집으로 돌아가서

우리가 듣고 본 것 때문에 하느님을 찬양할 수 있게 되기를 바랍니다.

그러면 우리가 사람들에게 이야기를 들려줄 때, 우리를 믿게 될 것이고, 사람들은 우리의 말을 믿게 될 것입니다.”

2010년 1월 2일 숀본 추기경은 메주고리예 순례를 마치고 오스트리아 비엔나로 돌아갔다. 교황청의 지침대로 교구 차원의 순례단을 조직하지 않고, 추기경 개인 자격으로 ‘사적인 방문’을 했지만, 숀본 추기경은 발현목격증인과의 발현산 등정, 공식적인 특별강론과 새해 전야 미사 거행 등 눈에 띄는 행보를 함으로써 메주고리예와 신자들을 놀라게 만들었다.

Cardinal Christoph Schonborn celebrates New Year's Eve Mass at St. James Church in Medjugorje

Cardinal Schoenbörn of Austria Homily given on New Years Eve 2009 Medjugorje/St. James Church

"Praised be Jesus Christ!

"Dear brothers and sisters here in the church and on the squares in front of the church, and in the yellow hall... We are all conscious of the fact that it is a big privilege to not have to celebrate the New Year with champagne. Maybe later...

"But now we are allowed to celebrate the beginning of the New Year with Mary and Joseph and with the child that is lying in the manger and with the shepherds.

"These days, we have all come to Medjugorje to be especially close to the Mother of the Lord. To be more exact, we have to say that we have come here because we know that the Mother of the Lord wants to be close to us.

"With her, we want to begin the New Year. And the first thing that moves me when I think about the manger and the shepherds is that there were no angels present. Here there is an angel at the nativity set (points), but in the gospel there are no angels there. They were on the hills with the shepherds. An entire host of angels! But Mary and Joseph only heard about it. The shepherds told them. You also didn't see the Gospa. But there are people here who told about it. And we trust that the Mother of God really is close to us.

"Belief comes from hearing. And it impresses me that first, in the gospel of today, there is talk about hearing. We have to listen to the good news first. We have two ears, two eyes, and only one mouth. That means we have to listen much, watch much, and then talk also. And what are we supposed to say? We are supposed to report what we have seen and heard. The world needs a new evangelization and that is only possible through people for whom it is impossible to keep silent about what they have seen and heard.

"We all have received the faith. And through baptism we all have received the task to pass on the faith. The shepherds related what they were told. And from there it went on. The gospel, the good news was told and those who told it were believable. Those who heard also saw that the word and life harmonize; that what the witnesses saw is also true in their life.

"How can we be witnesses of the good news? First, by looking to Mary. Mary kept all that happened in her heart and pondered it.

"Brothers and sisters, what we need most in this time is prayer. I'm saying this with a sadness of some sorts. I know that I'm not praying enough. I know
that prayer is life. Without the living relationship with God our life becomes dry and empty.

"What does the Mother of God tell us all the time? Pray. Make yourself time for prayer. Is that a good resolution for the New Year? For us priests and deacons? For us all? Time for prayer - it gives so much strength and so much joy; so much clarity. Let us ask Mary, that she helps us to pray more. When we pray our word is also filled with life. And then our testimony is credible.

"I want to tell you something about what the apostle Paul told us. The Year of Paul is already over; we are now in the Year of Priests. But the word of the apostle Paul was so strong because it was filled with life. In the reading of today he talks about God sending his Son so that we can become sons. The daughters are not excluded here. Daughters and sons are meant together. But Paul says we are called to become sons - not slaves. Like Jesus is Son of God we are supposed to be allowed to call God, Father. In the beginning of this year the apostle Paul tells us: You are sons and not slaves.

"I believe Medjugorje is a place where a lot of people confess. Confession is deliverance from the slavery of sin. Nothing makes us less free than sin. God wants us as sons: Freedom of the children of God. And for that he gifted us with the sacrament of reconciliation. We are to have a new relationship with God, to be allowed to call him Abba. Jesus invited us to that in a way that we trust him, that we trust God. There is so much fear of God in us .

" 'Jesus, I trust in you' [in Croatian]. I can also speak Polish [laughter]. Jesu Ufam Tobie. Jesus, I trust in you. Pope John Paul II left us this message: Trust in the mercy of God. Trust in the mercy of Jesus.

"Trust can be heroic sometimes, if life becomes difficult. If a marriage becomes a burden, if an illness oppresses us, if we don't know what becomes of our work - then to say Jesu Ufam Tobie - that can be heroic. Trust - that really is an act of faith. And again we look to Mary. Who has made and given this act of trust, of faith, more than Mary? Jesu Ufam Tobie. That is to be our program in the coming year.

"It is almost midnight and the fireworks are cracking outside. But we are not cracking, we are praying. We are not cracking, but we are singing!

"And a last word: The shepherds returned and praised God, praised him for what they heard and seen. We, too, will return home. In order that we can become witnesses of the gospel, we have to praise God first. The shepherds praised God for what they have seen and heard. I hope that we can all drive home, travel home after these days here, and praise God for what we have seen and heard. Then people will also believe us when we tell. Then our word will be credible.

"Now it is almost midnight. It is exactly the right moment to profess our faith. With this faith we are going into the New Year. God bless this year.